Strength Through Wellness

Finding Strength Through Wellness

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Amber's Story

Meet Amber.
This is what Amber looked like when I met her about a year ago.
She came into the Wellness Center timid and very inexperienced. It has been an incredible experience for Amber, myself, and all the people she works with and works out with, to see her transform into who she is now. I have had the pleasure of watching Amber not only physically change, but I have witnessed her self-esteem, attitude and overall perspective on life and overall health and wellness change. .
My name is Amber Gonzalez I’m 23 years old. I’ve been married for 5 years to my husband and we have a 2 year old son.When I met my husband, I weighed around 150 pounds and wore a size 7 in jeans. We would see each other every day and we would eat at various fast food restaurants. After two years of eating out and not exercising, my jeans were size 13. I ended up weighing between185 and190 pounds. I had gained 35-40 pounds of pure junk food. My friends would tell my husband and I that we had gained a lot of weight. Our excuse was always that we were just comfortable with each other and that is what happens when you get married. In February of 2008, I found out I was pregnant. We were so excited to finally start our own family.
When I gave birth to my son on November 3, 2008, I weighed 198 pounds. I never thought I would see that number. I was not able to fit into any of my clothes, so I wore my pregnancy pants until my son was about 9 months.. That’s when I finally decided to go buy some jeans that fit me. When I went shopping for my jeans I found out my current jean size was 15/16. I was so shocked! I was up about 8 sizes from when I had first met my husband. Did that make me change my opinion about eating healthy or exercising? NO. This sent me into a downward spiral. I started eating more junk food and started to drink beer more often…big mistake.


When my son turned 1 years old, we went to Disneyland to celebrate his birthday. I purchased a picture from Disneyland and my stomach looked like I was still pregnant! I was so fat I could not believe what the picture reflected. My family had been telling me that I was letting myself go and that they had never seen me this big. That was there way of showing support to make me lose weight, but it would just make me angrier and I didn’t care how I was abusing my body.


I reached a new low when I had to begin shopping at Plus Size stores. I was wearing a 2X. I could not believe that I was only 22 years old and this overweight. I tried all type of diets: the lemon diet, soup diet, only eating fruit once per day, and a just vegetables diet. I would quit because I could not last with those diets. My husband would tell me that I needed to be more determined to lose weight and that I would always just give up. I felt like I had no support from my husband and my family.


In February 2010 I got hired for a full time position at Electro Rent Corporation. I found out they had a Wellness Center for full-time employees. I started going once a week but my body was not use to exercising since I had not done any form of exercise since high school. I never pushed myself exercised. When I would go to the gym, I would stay sore for a week.


One day, I weighed myself at the gym and my weight was at 210 pounds. This was my moment. I hated myself.


I started to eat healthier and explained to my husband how I felt. I didn’t go back to the gym until a month later. I was eating healthy and was happy that I had not given up on a healthy lifestyle. I was determined to go to the gym even if I was sore. When I was told to do a push up, I could not even do one. I modified the push ups for the first few months.


Bri was the new Wellness Coordinator at work. She would make 6 week programs which would help me push and keep going towards my goal. When I participated in the first 6-week program, I ended up winning for the most total inches lost. I could not believe this! I was so shocked and but very happy. My weight was at 190 but told myself I need to get back to a size 7. I knew it was going to take a long time to get there but I was willing to go through the pain. In the process of getting to my goal weight, I taking classes at the Wellness Center. Bri had the class workout at a greater intensity; she had me hold 20 pounds dumbbells in each had I thought she was crazy! What is she thinking?! I have realized that I have gotten stronger thanks to her.


Exercising has improved my life a lot. I have seen great results and I now have the desire to workout; it makes me feel good. I have even developed a new love for running! I have made great friends that workout with me at the Wellness Center and they really help to push me. There are times I want to break down in tears during a class, but I have learned how to push through.


My family, friends, and many others have asked me how I have lost so much weight. They can't believe that I have done it without a specific diet, or pills. That is my motivation to keep going. In fact, I started a workout group twice a week with my close friends to help teach them how to exercise.
There are times I want to quit. However, I have learned that overcoming these challenges will help me get to my goal weight. The last time I weighted myself was May 2nd, 2011 and I weight 176 pounds. I have lost a total of 34 pounds and many inches. I never thought I would have reached this weight. This has been an incredible journey and I’m thrilled that I’m getting closer to my goal. I refuse to give up now.


This is Amber now....
Beautiful! I'm so proud
of you, girl!













2 comments:

  1. I just want to thank you Bri for always helping me out in everything. Pushing me when I wanted to quit now I look at myself and I'm so happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wanted to say how inspiring your story is. I love to hear how you have made these changes for yourself and in reading your story I can just hear your confidence exuding from what you have been able to do. What is so incredible is that you are taking your experience and "passing it on" trying to help others! Kudos to you, Amber. And Brianna, of course, I am always so proud to be your mama and hear these stories. What a great position to be in to help others. :)

    ReplyDelete