Strength Through Wellness

Finding Strength Through Wellness

Monday, August 15, 2011

OMG, am I on "What Would You Do?!?!"

It's Monday, and I'm actually not really depressed that it's Monday. I'm going to savor the last week of summer that I have. So sad. Bye bye, summer.

Ok, so I went shopping this weekend for "non-workout-non-stretchy black pants-no-plain t-shirt-kinda-clothes." You see, I live in workout clothes. By live, I mean workout, go to work, and coach...all in black workout pants and some kinda shirt. Workout clothes are my life's passion. I have an odd ability of being able to seek out the fitness section in any store. Anyway, when complaining to Jared about not having anything to wear this weekend, he even agreed that I needed to invest in clothing that I could not wear to the gym, to work or to the pool deck. Having his approval was a kick in the ass to get to the mall. Eww. I hate the mall. I'll get to my point...maybe.

So, I'm out shopping, like a loser, by myself, and I find a few shirts. I'm in my own little dressing room that my shoulders could barely fit through, looking at my boobs and body from any possible angle and distance, when I overhear a mom doing back to school shopping with her daughter. It dawns on me that I picked THE worst time to go shopping. Plus, I was bombarded by 14 year olds with feathers in their hair (ps. wtf?). I felt insecure for shopping at places that 14 year olds shop at. Damn you age 25...you don't fit in anywhere!

Back to my point. I hear this awful woman telling her daughter that she needs to lose weight, that her butt looked too big in that color of pants, and how she basically kept needing to go up in size. I was like omg...am I on "What Would You Do?" Is this a test? I was pissed because like, any female of any age, can and will find something to hate on about herself.  As I exited my abnormally sized dressing room with poor lighting, I made sure to tell the 14 year old, who by the way, was not even fat, that she looked super cute in that shirt. I even used a high pitched voice for a more dramatic effect. Then, I saw the bitch mom, who was VERY overweight and said, "Aww, back to school! She looks so cute!" Kill her with kindness.
WHO AM I?!

Bummer, no camera crew. Good news? I bought 4 shirts. Bad news? They were more money than I thought they were. In other news? I kept thinking about this poor girl and the effects that a bitch mom can have on someone her age (or really, any age). I think it's our job as young women (and for the 2 men who read this blog), to empower and encourage this movement toward being healthy and strong, rather than skinny. Besides, most of the skinny girls become fat girls cuz they never really learn how to workout or be healthy. Skinny doesn't last forever, bitches! Skinny turns into saggy, which turns into wrinkles. SO ha! Do I sound jealous? Cuz I'm not. Sorry bout' it.

Ok, so PLEASE, watch what you say about yourself and about others, especially when you are around people that are young, impressionable, look up to you, etc. If you're a mom, older sister, or mentor, it's especially important for you to be aware of the words you use to describe yourself and others. They can leave lasting hurtful impressions. Be uplifting, don't bring others down with the shitty attitude you have toward yourself.

Talking down about yourself or others with your peers, becomes contagious and ugly. What kind of example does this set? Not just for younger girls, but for those you associate yourself with? Insecure is not cute. Knock that shit off. We're all gonna have moments of "blah, I'm fat, have a big ass, ate too much cookie dough," (umm, that was my morning mantra today...oops) but please, just empower and encourage those around you and keep those negative thoughts to yourself, and keep them at a minimum. NO pity parties!

Set an example, be humble, and embrace all that you have, even when it's hard to do so. More people will look up to you for what you don't say about yourself.  Besides, a lot of men tend to love what you hate about yourself. Huge ass anyone?

K, so that's my story for today.
I start my Masters in one week. Is this real life? I feel like crying, but don't even worry, I won't. :) Have a great Monday and a great week guys!

4 comments:

  1. story of my life!!! i live in orange county, so i hear mothers put down daughters, friends put down friends, and girls put down themselves at a way higher rate than i ever did in la county dressing rooms. it's so damaging to our gender! (and to humanity in general, i know guys have confidence issues also, but cannot really speak on those.)

    i also agree with keeping your negative thoughts to yourself. my mom was always tearing herself down so i developed the ugly behavior and haven't been unable to unlearn it yet. i put myself down a lot to peers without being aware of it, but i make sure to never display anything but strength and confidence around my niece and other young people. it's so easily taught and passed down!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. and bravo for complimenting the young teen. that's probably her favorite shirt now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this blog and laughed my head off, not the part about that poor child of the not-so-smart mom, but about you squeezing your shoulders through the dressing room door and looking at yourself from every possible angle. People who have never shopped with you don't know how EXACTLY TRUE this is about you! LOL LOL. Well you know I have complimented your lovely body from early on and, as you know, I am working to try to get those lovely muscles so I don't become the saggy skinny, at least I hope it's not too late- LOL. I am so glad you complimented the young girl AND it may have given that mom something to think about now...hmmm...makes me think of your last blog "Paying it Forward"- you did that with complimenting and counteracting that negative shit the mom is feeding her child. Good job. I might mention, your little brown box you put here about strength reminds me of my comment to you on your Paying it Forward blog of what I have tried to pay forward to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should have asked that bitch mom if she originally had 2 daughters, and accidentally ate the second one. Talking about people, making fun etc is never cool...unless you're a bitch mom (or anyone) who needs to be shut down. Good job Bre

    ReplyDelete