Strength Through Wellness

Finding Strength Through Wellness

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

3 Synonyms: Coconut Oil, Smoke Alarm and Saturated Fat



Are you laughing yet? 
I try really hard to be domestic, and usually fail on all counts. I have this lovely idea that I'll one day have a garden in my back yard, but right now, all I have is a dog that destroys everything. My backyard on any given day, can potentially be filled with regurgitated underwear, torn up bedding, shredded beach towels, Q- Tips, tree branches (NOT sticks..like wind storm status), and the good ol' dug up hole- guess he wants to go to China. Me too, Gunner, ME TOO.

I was inspired to write a blog about Coconut Oil this morning when I set off the smoke alarm in my house- for like, the 100 billionth time while cooking my eggs. Why do I always set off the smoke alarm you ask? Because I cook with Coconut Oil.

I recently learned that Coconut Oil smokes more than other cooking oils. I feel like, way more competent in the kitchen now.
With that being said, here's your health tip of the day:
Cook With Coconut Oil.
Why?
**I stole some of this educated info below from different websites- there's my disclaimer. Also, I'm not a Doctor. duh.
Anyway, some of my clients FREAK out when they hear about anything containing saturated fat. SOME saturated fat is actually really good for you! Coconut Oil is one of those. Coconut Oil is 90% Saturated Fat.
Like...OMG!
Here's a breakdown from someone smarter and more eloquently spoken/written than me.

"Saturated fat can be broken into three different categories, short chain, medium chain and long chain.
Coconut oil is a medium chain fatty acid, this fat is digested and assimilated easily in the body and is transferred directly to the liver where it is immediately converted into energy, also meaning it isn’t directly stored as body fat. In addition, coconut oil stimulated the thyroid gland which regulates the metabolism and can help speed it up."

Ok, so why else? 
·      Supports healthy metabolism- Can I get an AMEN?
·      Supports thyroid function- I like this one, since I battle hypothyroidism by eating well and NOT taking  thyroid meds fo' life. 
·      Supports heart health- but OMG, 90% Saturated Fat? Imma have a heart attack! SHUT UP.
·      Strengthens the immune system- So I won't be constantly sick?
·      Assists in fat loss- Fat doesn't make me fat?!? 
·      Improves digestion- A poop a day keeps the Doctor away. 
·      Improves skin appearance and elasticity- No botox for this girl!
·      Helps treat Candida and yeast infections- Ew. 
·      Improves cholesterol levels- With 90% Saturated Fat? You Betcha! [insert Sarah Palin voice]
·      Assists in killing off viruses
·      Helps kill bacteria
·      Relieves symptoms of diabetes
·      Has proven anti-tumor effects

Vegetarians, rejoice! Saturated Fat without  eating animals!
I cook most things in coconut oil. Meat, veggies...and cookies. Shut up. 
Still scared of Saturated Fat? This was taken from Robb Wolf's FAQ page
He's a pretty smart dude, so listen up.
“What we observe is wild (grass fed) meat is remarkably lean, and has relatively low amounts of saturated
fats, while supplying significant amounts of beneficial omega-3 fats such as EPA and DHA. The take home
message is that free range meat is far healthier than conventional meat. Saturated fat has some influence on
heart disease, but it is secondary to issues such as systemic inflammation caused by trans fats, high
carbohydrate intake and a skewing of our ancestral omega-3/omega-6 fats.”
So stop worrying about Saturated Fat. If you still aren't convinced that lean meat and coconut oil are 
good forms of Saturated Fat, read this
Also, if you're into the whole beauty thing, check out this page to see how you can incorporate coconut oil  
into your beauty regimen. 


See what happens when I don't have 70 papers to write for school? 
I get to write about things I love...like saturated fat! Let the blogging begin...again!

1 comment:

  1. I love coconut oil! And use it as elbow/heel moisturizer..

    But, when an oil is at its smoking point, it's toxic and carcinogenic. Watch your heat!

    ReplyDelete