Strength Through Wellness

Finding Strength Through Wellness

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Personal Revolution

In high school and college I never worried about what I ate, when I would find time to exercise, how big my butt looked, etc. I was constantly surrounded by girls (fellow athletes...not the average girl, mind you) who were usually much bigger than me. We all ate the same, exercised the same, and lived the same life. We were athletes, we performed, worked hard, and ate/drank anything in any amount. I accepted the way I looked, and didn't see too much of a problem with it...why? Because I was an athlete, right? My body was what was "normal." It didn't matter what I ate or how I treated my body back then, or so I thought.

I didn't truly start to care until my athletic career ended and the real world began. I worked in the fitness and wellness industry, and therefore, I needed to look the part. I began working out and eating foods I thought were healthy. I was educated and certified in multiple fitness/health related categories, yet I couldn't figure out how to take care of myself. I trained multiple people: athletes, moms, kids and the elderly. I saw a variety of people each day, and helped many change their lifestyle and lose weight. Meanwhile, I was doing major bouts of endurance training, mostly long slow distance (LSD) running, assuming that this would give me a "lean" physique. I would eat what the average American would consider "healthy." I began training for a Half Ironman (1 mile swim, 56 mile bike, 13.1 mile run). I logged many miles each week, worked out 2-3, sometimes even 4 times each day. I began to count calories...which led me down the road to terrible health, both mentally and physically. I limited myself to 900-1,100 calories each day. People were in awe of how I trained, congratulated me on such a "healthy" training regimen. Seriously?! If they only knew what a hypocrite I was. There was no excuse for my obsession. I knew it wasn't healthy, yet, I did it anyway. This type of training went against every exercise/nutrition/health recommendation out there. I turned my back on my education, my certifications and all that I represented to my clients in order to pursue what I thought would work for my body.


About a year ago, 1 month out from my Half Ironman (March 2010), I went for my Women's Well Physical. I had blood work done, and assumed all results would be off the charts healthy. After all, I was working out all the time and eating "well." My doctor called me back to her office to go over my results. I came in optimistic, thinking I would get some kind of congratulations for having such healthy results. Quite the contrary. My thyroid level was low. My metabolism was at a screeching halt. My protein levels were terrible. I was severely anemic, and my vitamin levels, especially my Vitamin D level, were terribly depleted. I was tested for Celiac Disease and had a "sensitivity." Needless to say, she asked me in nicer terms, what the hell was going on with me. I couldn't fathom how unhealthy my blood results were. What did I do to myself? Over-trained and under-fed = slow metabolism = hypothyroidism. She had me begin taking thyroid medicine, every morning, and hour before breakfast, for the rest of my life.

By the way, my weight, despite all the training and limited calories, actually increased. This drove me into a crazy/obsessive state of mind. I battled with the number on the scale. I physically felt "soft." I had lost muscle and my body just looked frumpy. I did not look the way I had expected to look when I originally signed up, 6 months prior. I hated how I looked in my triathlon outfit. The worst part was that I thought I was living at an optimal level of performance and health. I didn't notice any symptoms that are listed above. I was too pre-occupied and obsessed with useless things like logging miles and counting calories. I accepted the way I felt as normal...I didn't know any better. I didn't know how much better I could feel because I had been so accustomed to operating and adapting at a less than optimal level.

In March, 2010, Jared and I completed the Half Ironman. It was an accomplishment, and I am proud that I can check it off my bucket list. However, I would give anything to change how I got there.


I decided to share this because I went in to my doctor for blood work yesterday. I'm still waiting on results, but I am hoping to be able to get off my thyroid medicine in the near future. I workout hard and eat food that will fuel me and keep my metabolism raised. I have made significant life changes. My perspective on healthy and my perception of self has changed dramatically in the past year. I know that what is healthy for me, can also be healthy for you. I lift weights...heavy weights. I work hard for short amounts of time and I train once per day. I eat food that will nurture my body, fuel my workouts and keep my metabolism going. The way I train at Crossfit prepares me for life. My life is NOT Crossfit, and it never will be. I do not have an obsession and my priorities are where they need to be. My training prepares me to take on any physical challenge, and keeps my mind in a healthy place. This kind of training ensures continued, evolving, athleticism. For example, I have not run in MONTHS, and on Sunday, I was able to go out and run 4 miles without pain, and without any cardiovascular or muscular struggle. I feel strong and ready for anything.


My weight is relatively the same. My clothes look/feel/fit better. My muscles are developed. I look better. I'm confident in my abilities, proud of my accomplishments, and I look forward to continuing my journey into a new realm of what it means to be an athlete (again). If you can relate in any way to my journey, I hope you can see the light before your body revolts against you. Stop killing your metabolism and body with miles of running, hours spent at the gym, on the elliptical and in group fitness classes. Stop counting calories, and start eating food that actually counts. Treat your body like the amazing machine it is...don't run it down the path to poor health.

If anyone can relate, I would love to hear your story. Feel free to message me, or e-mail me (BriannaBattles@gmail.com). I struggled for a long time to change myself and my thinking, despite knowing better and recommending the opposite way of life to my clients. I had a major reality check, and have made an incredible recovery. I would love to talk with you and share stories. This experience has improved my interactions with my clients, and has made me a better coach.

*P.S. My disclaimer on all endurance events: I'm still a fan of races and triathlons. I plan on doing many more in the future. I just have a different way of approaching my training now. If you are looking to loose weight and gain lean muscle, don't choose endurance training as your main form of exercise. If you are training for a race or if you genuinely love to run/bike/etc, I definitely encourage you to continue. Take care of your joints and metabolism by mixing up your workout regimen and be sure to include some weight training between endurance training sessions. I'm not making these recommendations up, the proof is out there. If you have questions, or want proof, please do not hesitate to e-mail me.

1 comment: