Strength Through Wellness

Finding Strength Through Wellness

Monday, June 6, 2011

Starting Point- How to do Paleo


I have received quite a few messages and e-mails regarding paleo, exercise and basically questions that boil down to, "where the hell do I start?!"
This first post is dedicated to explaining paleo and providing resources. Prepare yourself...this is going to be a long post. I hope you can put up with me.

My first piece of advice is to do you own research. I speak/write what I believe to be the most effective way to live, eat and exercise. I have seen through trial and error with myself as well as my clients, the benefits of eating gluten free/paleo and while maximizing my physical activity. There are many great websites and books that are listed on the side of this blog...check some of them out! I think one of the best places to start is by reading the FAQ page on the Robb Wolf website. He is an instrumental figure in the world of paleo eaters. I don't suggest joining the Paleo/Crossfit cult that exists...those people are crazy! Just educate yourself via figures such as Robb Wolf and Mark Sissen and make it work for YOU. For example, many people do Paleo + Dairy. You won't die by drinking an occasional beer, or getting ice cream on Friday, although if you do those things daily, there's a chance you will die sooner rather then later. Ugh, buzz kill. Eat clean for most of your meals, and incorporate a little flexibility when you feel ready. Make it be a realistic lifestyle for you.

If you simply google "Paleo recipes," you will see many of your favorite meals turned paleo. Check out everydaypaleo.com and my new personal favorite, paleo-project. For a straight up, no BS super paleo challenge, try Whole30. These websites are straight forward and should be able to provide you with food questions as well as recipes.

To be honest, going paleo is pretty extreme for most people, even those who have already tried every diet. Paleo is like going cold turkey (haha...get it? anyone...anyone?!) from all that you know, love and are comfortable with. You mean, no cheese, no cereal, pasta, beer, whole wheat turkey sandwich...what about my oatmeal?! How do I get my fiber?? Certainty not from fruit and veggies! Eggos and syrup? Fine, what about whole wheat eggos? You mean Kashi Go Lean won't make me lean?!

You must be shitting me!

So yeah, undergoing this kind of change in diet is extreme. It's simple in that your food choices are basic: meat, veggies, fruit, nuts, and seeds. What complicates this "diet" is the initial leap of faith...the ability to grasp and implement the concept of eliminating foods that you have always thought to be "healthy"...whole grains anyone? To go along with that, you realize that the foods you have been avoiding, for example, red meat perhaps?.. may actually be a fantastic addition to your diet. We all know sugar and processed foods are bad, and in most diets, those foods are eaten in moderation. However, by eating paleo, the way you view food changes. It educates you on what it means to eat real food everyday, for every meal and snack. It teaches you how to plan, cook, order at restaurants and how to snack. You don't have to count calories, ounces, grams or moderate your portions. Life and food is ruined by being pre-occupied by that shit. Let the era of dieting end.
Just.Eat.Real.Food.

Benefits of Paleo/Gluten Free Diet by Bri:
-You won't be hungry
-Has been known (and I have witnessed) to decrease the appearance of acne. Healthy (non-pregnant glow!!)
-Learn to cook (and it isn't hard...take it from someone who used to cry due to sucking so bad at making dinner).GirlfriendFail.
-You'll probably loose weight...definitely inches...and definitely improve your body composition. Your muscle to fat ratio will work in your favor!!
-Increased energy
-Balanced hormones- insulin (less insulin spikes=less fat storage), and cortisol regulation
-Variety of real, delicious foods to eat
-Controlled cravings
-Less inflammation (inflammation is a common denominator in MANY diseases).
-Improved sleep- again, thanks to regulated cortisol levels
-Deceased risk of heart disease, diabetes, and many other health conditions.

The list could go on and on, and the benefits vary from person to person. In my experience, these are the most common benefits.

On a personal note, but I guess this blog is always on a personal note, I have seen many positive changes that accompany going completely gluten free and 90% paleo. My husband actually likes what I cook for dinner..AND he eats veggies now...I still can't believe it. Seriously. Anyway, we even bought a deep freezer for our garage due to the crazy amount of meat we buy from Costco. I now eat all sorts of meat after not eating red meat, pork etc for a few years ... (don't hate me, vegans and vegetarians)- read these 3 articles. My stomach issues that I had all through college are gone. My stomach is flatter when I eat strict paleo, strength has increased, skin is usually clear, and more than ever before, I feel confident in my lifestyle.
Yes, I'm always the crazy girl at the restaurant with the annoying order...if you are a waiter and are reading this, please don't spit in my food. On the bright side, I am yet to find a place that I can't find something to eat. Eating gluten free is becoming trendy, so there are plenty of ways to start simply and easily.

Simple ways to Start:
-Eat eggs, not cereal/toast/bagels for breakfast. Try it for a week.
-Plan out what you are going to eat for your meals. Make a paleo grocery list.
-Keep organic beef jerkey, larabars, almonds, fruit etc in your purse for emergency situations or snacks.
-Eat often, seriously. Anyone who knows me knows how much and often I eat...my mom compares me to a teenage boy. Awesome right?!
-Eat protein with each meal.
-Make enough dinner to where you can have left overs for your lunch the following day (big time saver!).
-Buy gluten free sauces/dressings to start your transition.
-Switch to unsweetened almond milk or coconut milk in your coffee. I do vanilla almond milk from Trader Joes. Here's a gluten free shopping list for Trader Joes.
-Don't drink soda. Just don't.
-Aim to be 90% compliant with healthy eating (whatever form of paleo or not that is to you). This means, if you eat 5 meals each day, which you should to keep your metabolism active enough, you are "allowed" about about 3 meals each week where you can splurge a bit. Chocolate anyone? Alcohol? Pizza? Waffles? Do it, just don't do it all the damn time.

So that's paleo in a nutshell. Have a kick ass attitude; if you have tried it all, why not give this a try? Do it to the best of your ability, and do it gradually. If you are a bad ass and feel like diving right into it, by all means, take on a 30 day challenge like I did. Otherwise, pace yourself, make small changes and see how you feel after a week or two. My disclaimer is this: I'm far from perfect. I love chocolate, frozen yogurt and any treat my mom makes. I have no self-control. AND.I.MEAN.NONE. I feel good knowing that for the most part, I eat well... Really well. I'm definitely not a size 2, and I would never want to be a skinny-fat bitch anyway. My ass is big. My shoulders are broad. This is my body, and it is happy and strong. OMG that rhymed!

Please let me know if I can provide any more information. I will be posting a few staple paleo recipes quite soon! If we aren't already friends on facebook, add me! I try to re-post great articles, along with lots of annoying pictures of my food, and puppy. Enjoy! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment