Strength Through Wellness

Finding Strength Through Wellness

Sunday, February 16, 2014

Because it can't be a diet


Since having my baby and sharing my transformation into a "new normal," I've had quite a few people ask me what I've been eating. And here's the biggest piece of information that I want people to know...I am not dieting, I will not diet and I do not condone it. If I were to attempt dieting, my mental health would greatly suffer, and let's be honest, after having this baby, I have really come to value mental stability. I believe that obsessing over food is not good for anyone's mental/emotional health...it just usually takes a while for them to realize this.  I do not count macronutrients, calories or servings.  The only time this is appropriate is if you are training or cutting weight for some kind of competition and it should be extremely temporary. I do not cut out any major food group, although I do not consume gluten frequently due to a really inconvenient sensitivity to it. I do not weigh myself frequently because it has never been an accurate indicator of my health. And don't even get me started on the ridiculous BMI standards.

 If I had to list the food I eat on any average week or even day it would consist of the following: eggs, oatmeal, copious amounts of coffee with creamer, nut butters, coconut oil, olive oil, fruit, all kinds of grass fed meat (including red meat multiple times a week), chicken, fish, spinach and salad consisting of mixed vegetables. I am mindful of what I eat, but not obsessive about it. I LOVE chocolate, cookies and wine and will consume these items often because they do make me happy. I have learned through the years what foods make me feel healthy and fueled. I have had the advantage of working with many individuals on finding what works for their sustained success and have applied those lessons to my own experience. Through much trial and error, I've found a realistic way for me to eat well, get stronger, continue breastfeeding and very gradually, feel confident about body again.

I see so may people post pictures of their meals, supplements and dieting tips. They promote how they are going paleo, gluten free, dairy free, trying Shakeology, being vegetarian, vegan, using a certain pill or supplement, juicing or detoxing. These attempts at change are made with good intentions. For some people, choices such as eating paleo, vegetarian, all Organic, etc can be a sustainable way of life, but for these lifestyles choices to be sustainable and truly healthy, they require a bit of flexibility and a non-obsessive mindset, which is hard for anyone beginning their weight loss journey. Being super restrictive and controlling initially will set the average individual up for extreme failure in the long run.

 I cannot recommend supplements, a liquid based diet, calorie restriction or one that lacks healthy food choices or nutrients in general. These choices are a desperate attempt at starting a weight loss journey that will eventually come to an end because it is not conducive, realistic or appropriate to their lifestyle. Of course, some aspects of these diets are great to incorporate, such as supplementing with fish oil or trying a green smoothie. However, if you are dieting to fit into a wedding dress or with the intention to look good in a bikini this summer, your plan is not sustainable. It may work temporarily, and you may achieve your goal, but any diet with a timeline is dangerous in the big picture.  After working with a couple hundred individuals on finding an appropriate way to create permanent lifestyle change, the answer is always the same: find an exercise and eating routine that is realistic, flexible and sustainable. Have a coach to keep you accountable and educated. Give it time and make adjustments as time progresses. Turn change into habit.

I am not a Dietitian and will never claim to be! There are plenty of "health experts" that preach their message all over social media. My education and my experiences both professionally and personally have given me a great basis of knowledge, which is why I share what I do and try to provide realistic LIFESTYLE wellness options for readers and clients. For help establishing a change in your current lifestyle, please email me or comment below. For Dietitian recommendations, please email me and I will refer out! 

Bri Battles, MS, CSCS

No comments:

Post a Comment