Strength Through Wellness

Finding Strength Through Wellness

Monday, July 11, 2011

Damn you, sugar

Hello, hello!

Just in case you care, I had a wonderful time in Vegas this past weekend. And guess what? I didn't get drunk off my ass or do/say anything I would regret upon waking up. Not your typical Vegas trip, huh? Well, if you can believe it, I went to Vegas for educational purposes. Yes. AND I stayed with my grandma. Be jealous, which you seriously should be if you are lucky enough to know my grandma.

I attended the NSCA (National Strength and Conditioning Association) National Conference. It was filled with the best of the best in the strength and conditioning field. I sat/twitched from sitting for hours, listened (avoided facebooking on my phone...don't act like you don't do it), and genuinely learned a shit load from the professionals around me. I was reminded why I love and do what I do for both my wellness job and for the athletes I get to coach. Seriously, I love it. I will probably do a post on one of the interesting things I learned, which maybe like, 2 of you would enjoy reading, but whatever.

However, I will not be doing that today. Today, I decided, like 10 minutes ago, that I am starting a 30 day sugar-free challenge. Why? Because I feel like a fat ass. I ate a lot of sugar this weekend, and for the past couple weeks. That's what grandma's house/4th of July/mom's house/summer time does to you, well to me anyway. I can give up and continue to live without eating rice/oatmeal/dairy (gluten, in general) with my eyes closed. No prob.  BUT, I love sugar. Chocolate. Fro yo. Cookies. They gotta take a vacation for a while. I have allowed myself to sneak these treats back into my diet more often than I should...especially on the weekends!  I have done this before, and I can do it again, dammit.

Writing this and letting all my mysterious facebook friends  (HI! I appreciate you reading this), and my 6 readers in India (hi, I don't know you, but thanks for finding my blog somehow) know what I'm up to. That way you can all judge me and laugh if I suck. Speaking of suck, here are my rules:

1. I get to eat whatever I want on my freakin' 1 year anniversary (July 23). We are taking a weekend get away and the plan is to attempt eating the top of our cake. Yeah I know, people tell me it will be awful...BUT I DON'T CARE! I missed eating my cake at my wedding because I was under the influence of way to much wine and patron. Classy, I know. I swear, I really don't party that often!
2. No sugar unless it comes from fruit.
3. Dried fruit may only be eaten on rare occasions: For example, when I fly to Nor-Cal this weekend to recruitt. I'll be sitting alone in the sun staring a pool. I'll be hungry and bored and won't have a kitchen anywhere near me. I will need snacks on hand!
4. Mom, this rule is for you: If I visit you, hide your delicious treats. Seriously. I.do.not.possess."will-power."<---If I were super cool like the rest of you, I would have said #idonotpossesswillpower. WTF? Sorry. Tangent...
5. Continue to eat gluten free. No excuses/justifications like, "well if I can't have my damn chocolate, I might as well have ___,____, and ___ instead."
6. I'm not gonna get toooo crazy, like, with condiments such as Ketchup, BBQ sauce, etc. I have my own condiments that are sugar free/organic at home. But, if I'm at a restaurant eating a glorious chicken (I know, alright?), I'm not gonna freak out if the bbq sauce (which like, totallly has sugar in it) makes an appearance on my fork.

SO, who's with me? Anyone? Bueller?

For reals, I want to know who reads this blog, besides my mom and Jared's grandma (hi!).
I see my "stats" (holla!!) on this blog, and seriously want to get feedback and know who is reading this, why? Cuz I'm beyond curious, it's annoying. Feel free to e-mail me! You'll make me happy in my sugar deprived state.

4 comments:

  1. Bri that was sooo stinkin funny! More power to you for cutting out sugar. Good luck! -Erin k

    ReplyDelete
  2. aaahhh you have read my mind!!! I was doing so well then my husband come home from deployment and I have been doing so bad!! This month I keep telling my husband "no more sugar!" but this morning I woke up and decided "thats it!!!! For a month I am done!" and yay now you are doing it too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha Ha Brianna! Yes you already know I read your blogs. This was funny. It's like you are just talking on the phone, so real! So what the heck ever happened to just being able to have a little tasty-poo of something? LOL - I don't know what happened to your willpower but OK, don't open any of the cupboards or look for anything I have secretly frozen...oh and the M&M jar? Well, you know everyone looks for that who comes over, so what's a mama to do? LOL - I think we can blame your feelings of overdose on our nightly Vegas excursion for frozen custard...it gets us every time! Darn. You will feel better in a week. Thank God it is recovery week at cross fit for me,then Alaska. Talk about sucking by the time I get back. Oh dear... So sugar or no sugar - I love ya girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I READ IT! AND I WISH I POSSESSED ONE ONCE OF THE "WILLPOWER/DISCIPLINE" YOU DO BRI!

    ReplyDelete