Strength Through Wellness

Finding Strength Through Wellness

Thursday, July 14, 2011

You're FAT.

This picture says it all.
I'm in a suuuper fiery mood today. Some of you may have seen my facebook post earlier explaining my frustration toward my doctor. Without ranting too much, I was inspired to do a post on my experience today.

I went in for my yearly women's well physical and after waiting 45 minutes, automatically making me late for work, I was finally brought in. Of course, she took my weight. Great.
Today it was 137- I fluctuate between 135-140 (holy shit I just put my weight on the internet!!!). Jk, but seriously. She then asked me how  tall I was, in which I replied 5'3. She basically proceeded to tell me that according to the BMI chart she had, this put me in the "over-weight" category and that it was her responsibility to inform me of my health status. I'm surprised I didn't beat her ass right then, for reals. I felt my whole face go red, battling between rage/embarrassment/frustration/possible tears, etc.

I knew I needed to stay professional and calm in order to make a respectable point (this has come with age...kinda, HA!). I told her that a BMI is a horrible measurement of health and that it is rarely used among health and wellness professionals and their clients. I then told her why. In a short and not so sweet summary,(the same one I put on facebook), it is not just inaccurate for healthy, muscular people, but it also gives an unhealthy, or skinny-fat, individual the impression that he/she is in a "healthy range." Any athletic male or female (anyone with developed muscle) will have a higher BMI number, however, their body fat (the number that really counts) will be low- in the "athletic/healthy" range. The gold standard for finding out your body fat is to get weighed in a hydrostatic chamber, which I have done, and no, it didn't tell me I was fat.BMI, simply put, is your height to weight ratio. Because I'm not 115lbs, I'm fat according to the BMI. Jared, who is 6'2 and 205lbs would be fat. Um, not.so.much. Can I be fat like him? Are you following me yet?

I was so pissed that I'm not exactly sure what was truly said beyond that point, but she basically deferred the issue, told me that I don't look fat and changed the subject. Oh and get this, she asked me how work was going and I told her it's great and blabbed about how I love fitness/nutrition counseling and coaching because I get to spread the truth of appropriate  health and wellness standards and measurements.
Silence.

I left the office enraged, and of course, I called Jared. Poor, poor Jared.
Then I called my bff, Ally. Poooor, Ally.
So then, I got to work and posted on facebook and felt much better. But not really.

I know that not all doctors are like her. However, it's frustrating that a huge majority of of MD's know so little about health, exercise, nutrition and measurements of fat/muscle/health in general. Today I experienced first hand what many of my clients have experienced in their doctor's office, after not only losing weight, but losing a TON of inches.

What kind of message does this send to people? I can provide examples of many of my clients who have lost only 1-2lbs in a couple month period, yet they have lost anywhere from 8-15 inches total. AMAZING! They have gone down in their pant/dress size, are off their medications, feel wonderful and confident, yet this kind of success isn't apparent on the scale or on a BMI chart. It takes a lot to convince people that scale is not the best determinant of health, however, when they go to to the doctor, they are told otherwise! This is an uphill battle that trainers, wellness coaches, strength and conditioning coaches, sport coaches and parents will face on a frequent basis when educating their clients or children. When will the MD's get on board with this health and wellness perspective?

On a hugely personal note, I train my confidence daily in the gym and by the food I eat. It has taken a LONG time to feel fully confident and comfortable in my  body. I have forced myself to embrace my abilities and imperfections. I try my absolute hardest to set a good example for the women I train, as well as the young girls I coach. The human body is amazing, it comes in all different shapes, sizes, abilities and inabilities. It deserves some respect, dammit.
Yet, sitting there, feeling as if I needed to defend myself, my education, my career, my clients...I fought the urge to cry. This bitch just told me I'm fat. This DOCTOR, just said I'm over-weight. So, no matter how well-trained you are, no matter how confident you may be, those words still sting a little, even when you truly know better.

My closing statement is this:
Measure your success by what you are capable of. Can you lift a lot of weight? Can you run miles upon miles? Can you hold a crazy ass yoga pose or pilates move? Can you show up to practice every day and continue to push hard? Can you sustain a paleo/vegan/sugar-free/vegetarian/weight-watchers/whatever-it-may-be kind lifestyle? Have you been successful in your journey to constantly better yourself and your health? Do you fit into smaller jeans? Have you maintained the same jean size after you lost your weight? All of these things are what matter most.

I will never stop encouraging my clients to stay away from the scale and the height to weight ratio charts. Their success will be measured with my measuring tape, a new jean size, looking at picture of who they used to be, hitting a 225lb deadlift, getting their first pull up or when they get off blood pressure medication. That shit counts more than any number or classification.

Thanks for reading my rant, I know, it was a long one. My bad.
PS. Once I get my stellar blood work back, I will not be going back to her. PEACE!

5 comments:

  1. I EFFING LOVE YOU SO DEARLY!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You said it Brianna. You get to SPREAD THE TRUTH, I hope she felt like a dumbass. Once you set her straight, she should have apologized for not being up-to-date on this subject.

    I particularly love this from what you said above...."it is not just inaccurate for healthy, muscular people, but it also gives an unhealthy, or skinny-fat, individual the impression that he/she is in a "healthy range."

    This is SO true. It reminds me of the commercial about someone who looked in good shape but they must have had high cholesterol, but until having a blood test, how would you know. So they ASSUME by her "good looks" that she is healthy. And guess what, NOT.

    Your doc needs to wake up. I happy to hear you will NOT be going back to Dr. Idiot.

    And P.S. - I only WISH I had the body you had HA HA - I'm going to keep lifting those weights LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brianna,
    I love this post. I definitely couldn't have said it any better. A person with a doctorate saying this?? Ugh. Thanks for the laughs and the concise info. Epic. See ya at ER.
    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much guys!!! :) Glad to have the professional support!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is effing awesome Brianna! Thank you for writing about this. I hear from clients that their doctor has them on high grain, low protein diets, "don't eat fruit but eat fat free donut" diets ALL THE TIME> It's sick how misimformed the public is based on some shit doctors recommendations from a book he read 40 years ago. UGH! You rock sister.

    ReplyDelete