Strength Through Wellness

Finding Strength Through Wellness

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

One Tequila, Two Tequila, Three Tequila, FLOOR.

Let me start this post by saying, I hate you, 5th of July!
Anyway, I hope everyone had a fun, safe weekend.
Due to how I am feeling this morning, I decided to do a post dedicated to the party favorite, Tequila, ok and alcohol in general. Everyone loves a good margarita, but with a good maragarita (or like, 5) comes a crap load of sugar and stuff that will just make you pants tight by the end of the night. Not hot.

So, here's a "paleo" version of a margarita that I have made and ordered on a few occasions. You can also view the recipe here I'm not much of a drinker, although my college days and random outings here and there could lead you to believe otherwise. I choose to indulge when the time is right. This weekend=right time.

NorCal Margarita
-2–3 shots of 100% agave tequila.
-Juice and pulp from one lime (or as many as it takes to get the flavor you want).
-Shake it all up with some ice (or blend it).
-Add soda water to taste.
**Sometimes I will add a splash of margarita mix when making my own...yes, not super healthy, but calories and sugar are minimal if you add just a bit. I don't feel the need to answer to any paleo God about my alcohol/sugar consumption while partying.

Here's why this drink is considered "paleo."

1. Tequila is fermented agave juice, which makes it gluten and starch-free.
2. Insulin release is blunted by lime, helps maintain insulin sensitivity.
3. Alkaline kidney load from limes
4. CO2 bubbles help ethanol enter blood stream more quickly, so you can drink less for same effects.                                                                                                                                                 
Below are alcohol options that are gluten free that aren't too horrible for you. 
-Tequila (Distilled from agave)
-Vodka (Find brands that are distilled from grapes or potatoes. For example, Ciroc - distilled entirely from grapes. Warning, cheaper brands no longer distill from potatoes, be aware of what you buy).
-Gin (All include some sort of botanical. Some are distilled from sugars, others from cereal grains, so be on the lookout)
-Veev (from Acai berries)
-Hard Cider (Typically high in sugar, so this wouldn't be your go to throughout the evening. Stick to organic brands lower in sugar).
-Wine

I'm so happy to have been connected with Jaime at The Healthy Renegade. She has some great posts on fitness, nutrition and overall health. One of my favorite posts is Happy Hour Fitness. Read it. Now, you party animal.
I leave you with my sexy Tequila face. Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. You're amazing!! I got back from Vegas and if you can believe it, was a predator on the loose! Eating meat, drinking tequilla :) Thanks Buddy! Great post and I love it!

    ReplyDelete