Strength Through Wellness

Finding Strength Through Wellness

Monday, January 17, 2011

Bring On The Crazy


As most of you all know, I coach collegiate water polo, a long with working as a Wellness Coordinator/Coach. Our season has officially started and we are off to Michigan at the end of this week (umm, BUUURR!!). SIDENOTE: I am participating in a 6 week Paleo Challenge at my Crossfit gym that began today. Not that I am planning on being a super winner or anything, but it will definitely make traveling every weekend while staying Paleo very challenging!! Water polo season ensures a super hectic schedule that hardly allows time for anything personal in my life. It would be so easy to fall into the crowd of people that use "lack of time" as an excuse for not working out, eating out too often and making poor choices in general.

I absolutely refuse to be a hypocrite of the healthy life I promote daily to my clients. To avoid hypocrisy, I choose to wake up at 5:50am every.single.day and go to Crossfit. This gives me much needed time to focus on myself, my goals and to do something that will keep me healthy, both mentally and physically. After Crossfit, I rush home and quickly shower, eat and head off to my Wellness job for the morning/afternoon. I then drive over to the University to coach into the late afternoon/evening. I usually do not get home until after 8pm. This schedule lasts for four months, and there are games each weekend. Day off? Hell no. It's a crazy life, but I love it.

The point is, no matter how crazy busy you get, no matter how over-worked you are, you MUST make time for yourself. Stop the excuses. Keep yourself healthy by making time to workout and eat nutritious food that will keep you focused and energized. I have learned that planning ahead is my saving grace. I plan out dinners ahead of time, cook chicken on Sunday night for my lunch during the week, and make sure I am always stocked up on all my "regular" food items that I eat during the week.

Fortunately, I have a husband who, despite working 12 hour shifts himself, helps me tremendously during this hectic time. He is my support unit. I take out meat to defrost before I leave for work , and I e-mail him a recipe so that he is good to go when he gets home from work. By the time I get home, he has dinner made and ready for me to eat. He's freaking awesome. :) We found a system that works for us, and he is the best teammate ever. Find someone- a friend, family member, spouse etc, who will help you during your "crazy times." I can't express in words how grateful I am for his help.

So, for all you crazy busy people out there. I will conclude this post with quick and simple ideas for on-the go/travel snacks. As I mentioned, I will be traveling to Michigan this weekend and I know that my options for food will not be ideal. So, I must plan ahead. These are the snacks I am planning on bringing:

-Beef Jerkey
-Almonds
-Oranges/Apples
-Lara Bars
-Unsweetened dried fruit
-Carrots
-Tuna in water (the little packets)

It is rather difficult to pack any substantial protein sources as snacks (you mean I can't bring eggs and chicken on the airplane?!). So, beef jerkey is the best bet, and I'm yet to test the whole tuna packet thing. These foods will satisfy your snacks during the day, and should not be used as a meal source, unless it is absolutely necessary.

-Be the girl who has the carry on bag filled with food.
-Make sure your actual meals are substantial and filled with protein and veggies.
-Plan at least one workout while you are traveling.
-Eat eggs for breakfast and stay away from the dessert like breakfast options offered in the continental breakfast.
-Stay hydrated! Flying makes you dehydrated, and being out of a normal routine can make you forget to drink your water. Bring an empty plastic bottle with you on the plane and fill it up whenever you can.

I hope some of these tips and planning strategies help you when life "brings on the crazy."

No comments:

Post a Comment