Strength Through Wellness

Finding Strength Through Wellness

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The many faces, perceptions and truths of Crossfit

I have been wanting to do a post on Crossfit for a while now...especially for those of my friends and readers who are in the strength and conditioning/kinesiology/personal training field. I am CSCS certified and I plan on upholding my reputation and the values of the strength and conditioning industry. I do not consider myself a sell out for doing Crossfit as my main form of exercise, and I will continue to explain my reasoning behind this.

Crossfit gets a lot of criticism in the fitness industry, with the main arguments being poor form, poor coaching, overtraining, cultish, lifting for time/reps/rounds and therefore, leading to poor form and potential injury.

I first learned of Crossfit 4 years ago. It was still considered an "underground" movement. I thought the intensity of the Crossfit protocol was great, but for the reasons I listed above, I decided that Crossfit protocol wasn't for me, or the people I trained. I trained my clients intensely and included (for some athletes), Olympic lifting in their regimen as power exercises ONLY. Why? Because, generally speaking, form while doing power exercises, is lost when doing multiple reps and I was not about to risk injury to my clients.

I did Olympic lifting all through college, earned my CSCS, began personal training, had a few shoulder surgeries, stopped doing Olympic lifting, began triathlon/endurance training, Pilates/yoga (shoot me, NOW), started weight training again (compound exercises, super sets, mixed with plyos and isolated muscle movements), spin classes, interval training, blah...blahhhhh, blahhhhhhhhhh.

I have done a lot of different "routines," and I have preached a lot of different routines to my clients. I have always stayed a long the lines of basic strength and conditioning principles when training my clients and I used myself for experimentation with different fitness philosophies and routines.

After I came home from my 2 week honeymoon that was filled with way too much alcohol, sugar and laziness, I felt that I needed to do something new to spark my fitness routine. I was sick of the douche bags at Golds Gym (24 hour and LA Fitness...same thing) who were there to socialize, grunt, and stare at girls for 2 hours. I was sick of the bitches with make up and fake boobs on the elliptical. I was tired of being stared at from various angels thanks to the surrounding mirrors. Oh, and GOD forbid I actually lift heavy weight because the feedback I would receive would be, "You shouldn't lift that much, you may hurt yourself." I needed something new that would challenge me in ALL principles of fitness and something that was also in line with my own fitness philosophy and education.

I started looking around for different Crossfit gyms in my area and "interviewed" a couple of the coaches. I wanted someone who knew their shit and wasn't trying to sell me on the Crossfit cult concepts. I wanted control of my workouts, yet I wanted guidance from a qualified coach. If the coach/personal trainer isn't qualified, educated and experienced, you are wasting your time. Fortunately, Steve at Crossfit Conejo Valley understood my background, expectations and fitness goals. He is passionate about fitness and strength, and he isn't caught up in the cultish world that exists in the Crossfit community. He is easy going and flexible when it comes to abilities, modifications, and the workouts in general. For me, this was SUPER important.

I think the biggest issues with Crossfit stem from poor Crossfit coaches. It is the coaches responsibility to correct form and make you drop your weight (and your pride) if form is lost during the workouts. Power exercises CAN be done for multiple reps, without injury, IF AND ONLY IF the weight is appropriate (scaled) and manageable. The second form is lost, the weight/reps/time should be dropped. Programs must be individualized by scaling when necessary. When I coach, form is my number one priority. Almost anyone is capable of doing Olympic lifting. Proper technique must be taught first by a qualified coach and repeated before weight is added and before it is incorporated into a workout. As I have said before, a one day certification course does NOT make you a coach...neither does a medal around your neck. Period. Don't try and justify it. Find a gym, trainer/coach who is educated, experienced, gets you, your goals and your fitness background/abilities.

ANYONE, can do Crossfit and workouts similar to Crossfit. EVERYONE SHOULD LIFT WEIGHTS FOR FAT LOSS/STRENGTH/HEALTH. No excuses there. You have to find something that works for you and keeps you motivated to workout. I have seen plenty of non-athletes, of all ages and fitness backgrounds turn into individuals who can lift heavy and correctly who strive to improve their health on a daily basis. For me, Crossfit has given me the well-rounded strength that I have NEVER had before...even with 20 years of athletic performance, and after athletic career debilitating injuries. If Crossfit scares you, I encourage you to do your research and find a weight training regimen that speaks to you. If you are lost, e-mail me and I will absolutely help you find your way.

I like Crossfit because I like anaerobic training, Olympic lifting and the intensity of the routines. I encourage proper form and I have a coach who is knowledgeable and open minded beyond the exercise world of Crossfit. I don't agree with the cult side of Crossfit, and I will not buy into the "Crossfit scene" of witty shirts, converse, message boards, etc. I will continue to stay updated with other fitness perspectives, philosophies and research studies because it makes me better as an athlete, and as a coach/trainer in this industry. I do Crossfit for the intense workout, for the overall strength, for the celebration of strength being beautiful, and for the philosophy of fitness that I have the ability to control.

If you have any questions regarding an appropriate fitness routine for YOU, please contact me. Send me a message on facebook, or e-mail me at BriannaBattles@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment